Depending upon your particular situation, Orthognathic surgery may be the right option for you. While Orthognathic sounds like a big word, it simply means “straight jaws.”. Simply put, Orthognathic procedures involve the straightening of the jaws and teeth. It’s a surgical procedure for those patients who require specific facial restructuring; the results of which cannot be easily achieved by braces alone.
When we incorporate Orthognathic surgery, that’s our goal… to straighten jaws, so teeth meet well…which improves your bite and allows you to speak, chew and even breathe better. Positioning the chin or jaw correctly creates facial harmony and improves your appearance.
The following are some of the conditions that may indicate a need for orthognathic surgery:
- difficulty chewing or biting food
- difficulty swallowing
- speech problem
- chronic jaw pain
- excessive wearing of teeth
- open bite (space between upper and lower front or back teeth when mouth is closed)
- unbalanced facial appearance
- receding chin
- protruding jaw
- inability to make lips meet without effort
- chronic mouth breathing with dry mouth
- sleep apnea (breathing problems when sleeping such as snoring, difficulty breathing, etc.)
Orthognathic surgery can make a big difference in the way you look to others and the way you feel about yourself.
Contact our office today and find out if you are a good candidate for Orthognathic surgery.